Save MONEY every month in your household starting today!
Household budgeting and saving money is never easy and there are things you can do today to build monthly savings. You work long hours to watch your money be spent on things at full price or paying for convenience.
Having time spent with your family and saving for family trips is possible. Here are some things to consider as you look around your house to save money. At the end of this post are links and suggestions for everything I have done to save over 300/month all within 30 days.
1. Cable –
For YEARS, I spent over $200 on cable and internet. Always contemplated cutting cable but I really never felt confident it was something I could go without. In the last 6 months, I have successfully cut cable and now spend $70 for internet and $40 for internet TV a month. I hardly notice the difference and the best decision I could have ever made. If you’re worried about some of your favorite sports and kids channels, not to worry see below! Savings of $90/month.
2. Household goods –
There are things you buy regularly for your household including toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning products. If you have children be sure to consider, diapers, pull-ups and wipes. I now buy all of these in bulk (without taking a lot of space) after a lot of research online to find the best prices. My average bill on household goods including diapers was around $350/month and we now spend $290. Savings of $60/month.
3. Air Conditioning –
If you do not have an electric thermostat invest in one now. I personally love the house to be COLD. You can refer to it as the arctic and we live in Texas which results in abnormally high heat with electric bills that have you gasping when you see the cost. My average bill was around $230 in the summer and is now at $170. Savings of $40/month.
- Keep your thermostat 6-8 degrees higher during the day (peak periods) and when you are not at home and set the timer for the ideal temperature you would like for when you return or right before you begin cooking dinner.
- Invest in fans – air circulation can provide a temperature difference during the times you have it set higher. I suggest buying a tall floor fan as they distribute the most amount of air without the remote. The remote is added cost and typically it gets lost and you won’t be turning it on/off during the day.
- Black out curtains – this is still difficult for me when I am home during the day however during the peak of the heat around 2pm, just closing the drapes for 2 hours limits the frequency of the air conditioning turning on/off during the day.
- Vents – Close the vents in any rooms you do not use frequently. Rooms to consider, office, guest room or upstairs bonus rooms.
4. Groceries & Food –
Meal planning and buying in bulk is crucial here. I have not mastered this yet to have a total savings allotment. I am now buying all meats in bulk and individually freezing serving sizes in Ziploc’s that I place into labeled plastic organizers that I purchased for the freezer. We do a lot of crockpot and one sheet dinners in our family which we pull leftovers from and use bistro boxes for lunches. I have noticed a considerable amount of savings just by the reduced trips to the market. I have reduced my trips to the market by 2/month which typically resulted in $55 trips with the unnecessary things I bought because of their excellent marketing strategies. Savings $110
Here’s what I invested or now purchase for the savings;
- Invest in an online streaming player.
- Cut your cable to internet only. If you have a large house you will also want to look into WIFI extenders for the range. Typically its not the speed of the internet but the range of the WIFI. I do not have the highest internet speed and do not have buffering issues in the house when we are streaming multiple devices.
- Sign up for Digital Streaming TV or Hulu. There are 2 popular no contract required Digital Streaming TV services and I have tried both and they both have on demand features so you don’t need to look into also having Hulu. These also have add on features for premium channels such as HBO and Showtime starting at $5/month with no contract term. Its great for those of you who enjoy Game of Thrones!
- TV Antenna – If you are worried about missing local cable channels for sporting events or major news this can be left next to your tv and then taken to a window or a visible outdoor spot for the time so it isn’t a decor hindrance.
Household Goods – We buy a lot of household goods on a regular basis. Buy in BULK!