Time to shop for your
Survive the first 6 months with these essentials!
You will non-stop and exhausted with your bundle of joy! Make your life easier with these tips!
Throughout your Pregnancy you are going to receive advice from everyone. After awhile you are able to discern what is most important to you and prepare accordingly. Top concerns for me;
I am here to tell you it’s all about your preferences when selecting “essentials.”
Here are my narrowed down considerations, essentials and what I would have changed;
This post contains affiliate links at no cost to you in which I may receive compensation.
During the first few weeks where do you want the baby to sleep?
Nights you want the baby close or if you’ve had a C-Section your options are a co-sleeper, in the bed sleeper or a bassinet. Personally I had a co-sleeper in the bed and a bassinet.
Looking back, I would still have kept the co-sleeper in the bed and have purchased a playpen with the bassinet. Our stand alone bassinet was used twice.
When selecting the playpen you won’t need the changing table attachment if you have a changing table in the nursery. I recently saw a playpen that our son loved during a playdate. The playpen included a vibration, light and music attachment – that was really awesome!
If you are starting crib training early, I would continue with the nursery and absolutely invest a playpen with a bassinet. There will be nights you will want your baby close, whether its in your bed or napping in the living room it will absolutely be used!
- The First Years Close and Secure Sleeper
- Graco Pack and Play with Newborn Oasis! – This is not your standard Pack n play!
- Halo Bassinet Sleeper – if you know you’re having a C-Section, this is a great option!
- Snuggle Me Organic Co Sleeper
Crib, Changing Table & Dresser
Here are some Crib and Changing table sets Moms love;
- Serta 7 Piece Nursery Set – Stylsh Grey!
- Simmons Kids 6 Piece Nursery Set – White!
- Graco Convertible Crib – Pebble Grey .. Matching set
- Graco Changing Table – Pebble Grey .. Matching set
- Graco 6 Drawer Dresser – Pebble Grey .. Matching set
Glider / Rocking Chair
Baby Bottles & Feeding
Invest in bottles, bottle wash, bottle cleaning supplies now. I will always use Dr. Brown bottles and you can read reviews on many that are out there. Be sure to consider the little tummy and ventilation as it can cause you more sleepless nights than are necessary.
- Dr Brown Baby Bottles – Relieved my son’s colic after trying many others!
- Dr Brown Bottle Brush
- Dr Brown Bottle Drying Rack – This was awesome!
- Babyganics Dish Dazzler Soap
Crib Sheets, Crib Bumpers, Blankets, Bath Towels, Wash Clothes, Burp Cloths and Blankets
Have a few of each however I used Gerber Cloth Diapers for burp cloths and it was a huge savings and for something so hard to clean often times I didn’t get upset if I needed to throw one away.
Swaddles, blankets, and bedding. I used Aden & Anais swaddles. The Aden and Anais brand is amazing for its quality and material for swaddling. The sheets, swaddles and blankets I have from Aden and Anais have lasted over 2 years!
There are so many to choose from! Each baby is different and it comes down to your preference.
Here are a few of the things we used:
- 4moms MamaRoo – This is what we used on high speed. Some days it was the only thing that calmed our son! I wish they had this for adults!
- Fisher Price Auto Rock & Play Sleeper – My son used this at a friends house and it was perfect.
- Fisher Price Bouncer – I love this new one they have! Ours didn’t have all these options. Definitely a second baby essential!
- Graco Simple Sway Baby Swing – This is an amazon best seller with amazing reviews!
Floor Play Mat
Here are the latest available to Mom’s!
- Fisher Price on the go Baby Dome – Wish this was around a year ago!
- Baby Einstein Play Gym – This is what we used, for hours!
- Skip Hop Baby Infant and Toddler Activity Gym and Play Mat
Do yourself a favor now and buy a bathtub that will grow with them. It is a relaxing time for you and the baby on some evenings and bathing in the kitchen sink just didn’t seem all that sanitary and it doesn’t provide the tranquility that is needed before bedtime.
- Fisher Price 3-in-1 Bathtub – You can re-purpose as your baby grows out of it!
- Summer Infant Deluxe Baby Bather
- NEW! Fisher Price, CALMING VIBRATIONS! My Little Lamb Baby bath!
You will want more than one if you are a shopper or a purse fan! Backpack diaper bags were my preference and having one that attaches to the stroller was essential for a great shopping excursion.
- HapTim Multi-function Large Baby Diaper Bag Backpack W/Stroller Straps
- Skip Hop Duo Signature Carry All Travel Diaper Bag Tote with Multipockets, One Size, Heather Grey
- HaloVa Diaper Bag Multi-Function Waterproof Travel Backpack
- Skip Hop Forma Travel Carry All Diaper Backpack
- Skip Hop Chelsea Downtown Chic Diaper Backpack, Black
Stroller, Car Seat & Base Units–
Consider getting an extra base unit for the extra car in the family, it’s a great luxury.
Strollers Mom Love;
Extras I loved
- Boppy pillow lounger – this was great for naps, floor time and to this day serves as a comfortable seat when he wants to sit on the floor.
- Fisherprice rock-a-baby – I would not hesitate to add this to my registry with my next baby!
- Sleep sound machine and projector for the nursery
- Fisher Price Sit me up tiger – Our son had severe acid reflux and colic and this provided the neck support around 3 months to keep him sitting up after feeding. We learned of this at daycare!
- Fisher Price Infant to Toddler Rocker – This has vibration and the ability to grow with them. He still uses it to this day!
Everything is based on personal preference the above advice was passed along to me some took some I missed and I hope you find this helpful as you start planning for your new bundle of joy!