How exciting! You’re having a baby!!! Maybe you are one of the few people who don’t experience morning sickness or you’re like me and everything you did took great determination as you rode the nausea waves.
Holy cow! I personally hate roller coasters due to the motion sickness so my morning sickness experience wasn’t pleasant.
Today I met a mom going through her second pregnancy and I wanted to provide a resource for what worked for me and some of the latest trend’s I’ve read about. I will keep this post updated as I learn more!
First know, that this will more than likely go away in 18-20 weeks. It isn’t forever although it will seem that way. This can help you get through it (keep in mind, I am NOT a doctor and highly suggest you consult your doctor on anything you feel uncomfortable with!) All of the below can be found on Amazon or at your local Drug Store.
- Scents – The top scents that can help keep the nausea at bay are Peppermint, Ginger, Lemon and Lavender. Before you run out and buy essential oils if you will be placing them on your body know that it is recommended it is diluted. I personally diluted with coconut oil. I personally had peppermint tea in the morning with toast and had lemon and lavender air fresheners in the car.
- SeaBands – Have you ever seen the anti-motion sickness bands for traveling the seas? I recently have heard a lot of success with motion sickness bands, you can find them on amazon in some great colors if you are worried about the fashion police.
- Diet – Yes, Pizza sounds delicious! Much like when you have the flu I suggest the BRAT diet. Bananas, Rice, Applesauce & Toast. I also added in saltines, salted almonds, and potatoes. Do not add a lot of butter (don’t suggest buttery crackers at all) or dairy as that counter acts everything you have done to settle your tummy.
- Eat small portions – There is nothing worse than when you feel sick and you are overfull.
- Lemon air freshener – I love the smell of lemon and having a lemon spritz in your bedroom for right when you wake up and after the hot shower was extremely helpful. Think about spraying this on your clothes too!!!
- Ginger – Okay, I bought it all, the suckers, the candy, even ginger ale – none of it worked for me. So if you are going to go this route I suggest only buying a small quantity I cannot tell you how much I threw out at the end of my pregnancy when I realized everything that I bought which hadn’t worked.
- Throw up bags – Now you can get these free from any hospital they are hanging on the wall and blue however you can also purchase them from amazon if you don’t want to make a separate trip and worry someone is watching. I can tell you, MANY people go pick them up. Note: You can use these to put dirty diapers in if you don’t end up using them during your morning sickness!
- Avoid heat – This includes long car rides. If you don’t have air circulating and a fresh scent – you are guaranteed to get nauseous.
- Before bed – Make sure you have crackers available and have a few before bed and right when you wake up.
- Coca Cola – Okay I am not suggesting you go out and get a 32 oz coke. I will warn you, that if it does work, you might want to run out and get one due to the sugars and relief however I bought a few of the small 8 oz. cans kept them cold and found amazing relief when I sipped on them. This is also suggested when you have the flu! Sipping only!
- Peppermint – I do not suggest gum however any peppermint mints you can find, I loved the peppermint mentos – very strong flavoring helped me greatly.
- Pedialite – Okay I know it sounds disgusting. I suggest Pedialite over Gatorade any day! There are a lot of flavors and if you are having a hard time keeping liquid down this will provide you with the electrolytes to help. I water it down about 50 percent and always buy the tropical flavors.
Please stay busy and know this is the beginning of an amazing journey. As I come across anything new from friends I will absolutely keep this updated. Get started on your registry and essential lists!!